Links

Links back are appreciated. If you want your PSP hacking site linked here, contact me.

Also see:
Wii Component Cables

Wii Hacks
PS3 Hacks
Zune Hacks


Website Screenshot Thumbnails provided by WebShotsPro.com

Archives

LiquidIce's PSP Go Hacks

PSP Hacks, PSP Go Hacks, News, and Info. Find out about PSP Hacks and tricks such as: Converting video to PSP format. Running homebrew software. Compile PSP Linux. PSP Home Control. PSP Swap Trick. PSP Web Browsers. PSP WiFi Functionality. PSP controlled car

Sony PSP




Powered by Blogger


Starcraft 2 Cheats

Check out this Starcraft 2 Cheats Video
PSP Topsite Links

PSP Top Sites

Vote on the PSP Top 200
PSP Top 200 - Games, Videos, 

Wallpapers, Files, Hacks, Homebrew









Friday, December 09, 2005

Location Free TV

I was just reading some information about the latest PSP firmware and noticed that it now supports LocationFree TV. I have seen this in action with a 12" panel and the interface is really nice. The stream is good quality, and considering it's wifi, there is not much delay when switching channels.

I am curious to try this on my PSP, but not quite ready to upgrade my firmware from the beloved 1.5 firmware which supports Lua.

What I am even more curious about are these LocationFree Base stations. They appear to be using standard 802.11 protocol to connect the base to the display.

I was wondering if anyone has looked at the data being sent over the LocationFree WIFI connetion to see what codecs it is using for the stream. Is it some standard H.263 / H.264 codec that could be replicated on the PC to stream video from your PC to the PSP?

It would be very cool to be able to wirelessly broadcast your own TV stations to your PSP using the software already built in to the PSP firmware.

9 Comments:

Blogger MMMMMM said...

Thinking the exact same thing a few months back.

http://mgillespie.blogspot.com/2005_11_01_mgillespie_archive.html

Know anyone that can take a ethereal trace, if so, I may be able to help..

Thinking of starting a sourceforge project, if a packet trace is available...

1:51 PM  
Blogger Will Hoffman said...

For up to date PSP news you can check out:
PSPon2.blogspot.com

Sorry, I need to get this site out I hope you understand.

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did anybody make any progress on this? I'm would think its pretty easy to reverse engineer.

3:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually own a base station. Anything I can do to help?

The thing is... the codec is proprietary, and all clients including the psp have to connect to the base station that I'm almost sure registers on some Sony website because you can't have more than 4 psp's registered on the same unit. I could get you a trace if you guide me on how to do it... ICQme 642836 if your interested

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the video codec is standard. in fact, based on the source code sony released, it indicates usage of live networks rstp server.

i reckon the handshake is proprietary.
if only someone can crack this, or
perhaps bypass the psp locationfree viewer setup step.....

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I know I'm waaaaay late on this thread, but I have both a PSP and LocationFree base station (LF-PK1) - The PSP does indeed establish a propriatry link between the LF device and the PSP - thus it doesn't matter what protocols or codecs you stream over, you cannot get access to the stream without Sony's initial pairing setup.

However, I also run all my homebrew stuff on 1.5 - and have the perfect solution - Devhook. I can emulate the 2.8 firmware and connect to the LocationFree device giving me the best of both worlds...

hope this helps but then again, I'm guessing that you've all figured this out long ago...

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

does the Playstation 3 act as a location free player?

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice add on

12:37 PM  
Blogger Aaron Blakely said...

I'm very interested in this little device.. It turns out that these things can make nice and cheap IP cameras.. :P But, there isn't any known linux support.. I was wondering if theres some kind of javascript player that can interface with it..

-Aaron

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous psphacks